Thursday, November 16, 2006

We need more taser

Is it just me, or have law enforcement officers gone mad with taser guns lately? In a town near where I live, a man was disturbing the peace. (He'd been drinking.) The neighbors phoned the police department. A deputy sheriff showed up at his house minutes later and taser gunned him to death. What actually happened is that the deputy stunned him near a hot-water heater. The man fell backwards onto the hot water heater and it snapped his back.

It seems that every time I'm reading the news online, I run across an article about some cops or security officers going crazy with the taser guns (see: UCLA cops taser ID-less student).

My take on the situation: Just because taser guns are "non-lethal" doesn't mean that they should be the first line of defense. Maybe verbal communication should be tried first. Heck, maybe even mace 'em before breaking out the taser.

No comments: